Here’s how to know the difference.
What is Considered a Dental Emergency?
If you need emergency dental care, we’ll do everything we can to see you the same day for treatment.
Here are some examples of dental emergencies:
- Knocked Out Tooth
- Severe Toothache
- Cracked Tooth Causing Pain
- Dental Abscess
We have the best opportunity to urgent dental care, the less likely it is that we’ll be able to save the tooth.
within 30 minutes of it being knocked out. The longer that you go without
Follow these instructions for a knocked-out tooth:
- Pick up the tooth by the crown (chewing surface), NOT the roots. Picking up a tooth by its roots will damage the cells needed for re-implantation.
- If the tooth is dirty, gently rinse it under water. Do NOT use soap, scrub the tooth, or dry the tooth with a tissue or towel.
- If possible, gently place the tooth back in its socket and gently bite down to hold it in place. If this is not possible, keep the tooth tucked inside your cheek or submerged in a glass of milk.
- Call our dental office to let us know you’re on the way.
We won’t know
until you see one of our dentists. During your appointment, we’ll ask you about your symptoms, do a thorough examination, and take X-rays.
With this information, we’ll be able to diagnose the source of your pain and recommend a treatment plan. For example, we may recommend an emergency root canal if the dental pulp inside the tooth is infected.
What Doesn’t Need Urgent Dental Care?
Not all dental concerns are emergencies. That being said, it’s still important that you reach out to our office if you ever feel any pain or discomfort.
Here are some examples of situations that aren’t considered emergencies:
- Lost Crown or Filling
- Mild Toothache
- Small Crack in a Tooth That’s Not Causing Pain
- Small Chip in a Tooth That’s Not Causing Pain
If you’re not experiencing a dental emergency, we’ll still work hard to ensure one of our dentists is able to see you as soon as possible. That way, you’ll be able to receive the care you need in a timely manner.
Depending on our schedule, it may be a few business days before you’re able to see one of our dentists.
Call Enhance Family Dentistry Today
Aren’t sure if you’re experiencing a dental emergency? Please don’t hesitate to call Enhance Family Dentistry. Our compassionate staff would be more than happy to help you figure out your next steps.
Our emergency dentists in Ann Arbor, MI, will do everything in their power to restore your oral health. To schedule an emergency appointment, please call Enhance Family Dentistry at (734) 821-7676.